Mission/Vision

KING’S CROSS CHURCH exists to glorify God and enlarge His Kingdom by gathering regularly to proclaim and celebrate the Gospel of Jesus Christ, yielding to the authority of God’s Word as illuminated by the Holy Spirit and summarized in the historic Christian Creeds and Reformed Confessions, partaking together of Christ’s presence in the Sacraments, providing opportunities to love and serve one another in Community, equipping the saints for Ministry to those who are lost and hurting, both locally and globally, and preparing them to cultivate Shalom (peace and well-being) wherever God calls them to serve.

Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Donkey's Delight


C. S. Lewis' "Donkey's Delight" has long been one of my favorite poems. And it provides an apt illustration of the way that the Lord loves to interrupt the flow of our sinful trajectories with His wonderful, "But God..."

The Gospel truly is the ultimate "non-sequitur"; or as Lewis puts it, "the excellent joke."

I've provided some "Cliffs Notes" for the poetically challenged. But if you love to read and reread poetry until it eventually overcomes its shyness and begins to open up to you, then just skip on ahead to the poem. Enjoy.

"Cliffs Notes"
- First stanza: He courts a girl for ten months with unswerving service, devotion and gifts. Then a happy sailor steals her away with one glance of his eyes.

- Second stanza: He pours himself into writing; pouring his heart into every line. Then a singing boy flits in and steals away the favor of the crowd.

- Third stanza: He puts himself under a spiritual master who has him fast, keep late night prayer vigils, vows of silence and scratchy clothing in order to curry God’s favor. Then a careless, dirty drunkard comes waltzing in at the last minute and receives the divine favor that he had sought.

- Fourth stanza: Contemplating the resurrection of Jesus, he stops his striving and simply receives as a gift that which he had tried so hard to obtain by merit. He enters into the “excellent joke” the ultimate non-sequitur, and joins Balaam’s ass, creaking out his “glory to God” as he romps in the sunshine of God’s love.


Ten mortal months I courted

A girl with bright hair,

Unswerving in my service

As the old lovers were.

Almost she had learned to call me

One moment changed the omens,

She was cold again.

For carelessly, unfairly,

With one glance of his eyes,

A gay, light-hearted sailor

Bore away the prize,

Unbought, which I had sought with

Many gifts and sighs.



In stern disdain I turned to

The Muses’ service then,

To seek how the unspeakable

Could be fixed by a pen,

Not to flinch through the ink that

I must use, they said,

Was my dearest blood, nearest

My heart, the riches red.

I obeyed them, I made them

Many a costly lay,

Till carelessly, unfairly,

A boy passed that way

Who set ringing with his singing

All the fields and lanes;

They gave him their favor,

Lost were all my pains.



Then I passed to a Master

Who is higher in repute,

Trusting to find justice

At the world’s root.

With rigid fast and vigil,

Silence, and shirt of hair,

The narrow way to Paradise

I walked with care.

But carelessly, unfairly,

At the eleventh hour came,

Reckless and feckless,

Without a single claim,

A dare-devil, a ne’er-do-well

Who smelled of shag and gin;

Before me (and far warmer

Was his welcome) he went in.



I stood still in the chill

Of the Great Morning,

Aghast. then a last

-Oh, I was late learning —-

I repented, I entered

Into the excellent joke,

The absurdity. My burden

Rolled off as I broke

Into laughter; and soon after

I found my own level;

With Balam’s Ass daily

Out at grass I revel,

Now playing, now braying

Over the meadows of light,

Our soaring, creaking Gloria,

Our donkeys’ delight.

C. S. Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment