Mission/Vision

KING’S CROSS CHURCH exists to glorify God and enlarge His Kingdom by gathering regularly to proclaim and celebrate the Gospel of Jesus Christ, yielding to the authority of God’s Word as illuminated by the Holy Spirit and summarized in the historic Christian Creeds and Reformed Confessions, partaking together of Christ’s presence in the Sacraments, providing opportunities to love and serve one another in Community, equipping the saints for Ministry to those who are lost and hurting, both locally and globally, and preparing them to cultivate Shalom (peace and well-being) wherever God calls them to serve.

Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Restore Unto Me


(2 Samuel 24:10) But David’s heart struck him after he had numbered the people. And David said to the Lord, “I have sinned greatly in what I have done. But now, O Lord, please take away the iniquity of your servant, for I have done very foolishly.” 


King David was a Spirit-filled man, a godly ruler, a prophet and potent type of Christ. He was also a man whose epic faithfulness was too often eclipsed by his epic disobedience. When David sinned, he sinned big-time. But when he sinned, he knew how to access the restorative mercies of God via heartfelt prayers of contrition. Psalm 51 is David’s mea culpa after his adultery with Bathsheba and the murder of her husband. And at the end of 2 Samuel we have a much pithier prayer for pardon after David’s faithless numbering of Israel. The soul-wrenching grittiness of Psalm 51 is moving. But the almost bullet-point concision of David’s prayer in 2 Samuel 24 helps us get at the very essence of confession.

Elements of David’s Prayer:
- “David’s heart struck him.” David was truly convicted of his sin. David was not merely “checking the box” of confession as he prayed.

- “David said to the LORD.” David knew that his sin of “numbering Israel” was against God and not merely against Israel.

- “I have sinned greatly.” David did not minimize the seriousness of his sin. He maximized he offense as he confessed it to God.

- “In what I have done.” David did not confess general sins. He confessed a specific sin, the sin of numbering Israel.

- “Take away the iniquity of your servant.” David did not just pray for God to take away the guilt of his iniquity. David asked God to take away the iniquity itself; to purge David of the sin itself.

- “I have done very foolishly.” David offered no excuses or reasons for his sin save his own foolishness.


Awhile back (before I was a pastor) I wrote the following story to illustrate what prayers of confession that lack David’s insights sound like. And what a prayer informed by the Gospel and the likes of Ezra 9, Nehemiah 9 and Daniel 9 sounds like.


Restore Unto Me

I was hitch-hiking my way across eastern Kansas when a sudden summer storm convinced me to seek refuge in a small, white-washed church on the edge of a dusty little town. I knocked vigorously several times on the large double-doors at the front of the building. Silence. The well-worn brass knob turned when I tried it, and the door swung easily open. "Hello? Is anybody here?" I hollered. Still no response.

I entered the small foyer, and stood for a moment, breathing in the various "church-smells" and scanning the maps and faces neatly arranged before me on the self-described "Missions Bulletin Board". The sights and smells triggered a flood of childhood church memories. How many years had it been? I calculated it effortlessly in the same way that I marked all passages of time. "Let’s see, one year after the divorce. The divorce was eight years ago. Seven years." It seemed like less.


Thunder boomed and the rain battered the roof, walls and window panes of my sacred shelter, as I searched it from "steeple to baptistery". 
I wound up in the choir loft at the back of the church, looking down on the well-worn wooden pews that lined the sanctuary. A rough-hewn cross hung on the front wall and overlooked a non-descript pulpit and communion table. The table was flanked on two sides by a few folding chairs, and all floated on a sea of orange-brown carpet.


I sat down on the choir-pew behind me and noticed for the first time that it was padded, whereas the sanctuary pews were not. "Perhaps this is a part of the join-the-choir incentive program?" I mused quietly to myself. The now distant roll of thunder and the monotonous patter of rain produced a lullaby that my tired eyelids could not long resist. I stretched out on the pew and in seconds was twitching gently into a deep sleep.

I awoke slowly some hours later to the clear tones of a man’s voice. It was not speaking to me. It came from somewhere down below in the sanctuary. I sat up and carefully peeked over the railing, not wanting to disrupt the serious little gathering below.

They sat in a small ragged oval. Some seated in the first pew, some on folding chairs directly in front. They sat facing one another and seemed to be listening with varying degrees of intensity to the man whose firm but soothing voice had awakened me. The voice apparently belonged to the pastor of this modest parish. He was at that moment finishing some instructions for their prayer meeting that evening. Something about confession following something and preceding something else. I remember little of what he said, but everything of how he said it. He spoke simply, earnestly and directly. And yet his hands and body moved as if he were pouring each word into each soul seated about their tiny circle.

The pastor concluded his instructions by asking them if they were now ready to pray. Some nodded their heads, others just leaned forward, folded their hands and closed their eyes. Which is exactly what I began to do until I abruptly remembered who and where I was! But what to do? And which was worse? To silently play the spiritual Peeping-Tom from the loft, or to tromp down the stairs and express my thanks by interrupting their prayer meeting and making the little granny next to the pastor reach for her heart medicine? I chose safe and silent.

They began their time of prayer with some solemn prayers about God’s greatness and goodness interspersed with a few psalms and hymns. Aside from the pastor, most of the prayers seemed to lack something. What was missing? Passion? Conviction? I wasn’t sure. An older woman ended the praise time by reading a Bible verse and saying a short prayer.

"God is so good" intoned the pastor. "Praying with you tonight has reminded me again of His supreme holiness and majesty. It has also reminded me of how far I fall short of living up to His glorious standard. Let’s just spend some time confessing our sins to Him, agreeing with Him about the scope and depth of our fallenness. If you are afraid, remember the Cross. Remember the abundant mercy that God gives to those who despair of themselves and turn to Him. Remember Christ’s blood and righteousness, and take courage my friends." At the words "Christ’s blood" his eyes moistened, his shoulders sagged and his head bowed as if from some great unseen weight.

An older man wearing a denim shirt and well-worn cowboy boots prayed first: "Lord, you know I’m not much good at this. Uhmm, you know that my smokin’ and drinkin’ days were a long time ago. But now, thanks to you, things are goin’ real good and I’m stayin’ on the straight-n-narrah. Please forgive me for.........for.......ahh......just thanks for helping me be a good person. Amen."

The woman directly to his right (his wife?) in a floral print sun dress went next: "Dear Jesus, I need your help. I’ve been gossiping again. Please help me to go to Cindy this very night and confess all the things I have been saying about her behind her back. I know you love me and will help me. After all it’s not like I said all those things about you, is it? Please give me the courage and strength to get things right with her tonight. Injesusnameamen.

On around the circle it continued: "Oh Heavenly Father I beseech Thee to forgive me my mistakes this week. Though not often, nor heinous in nature, still, I have erred. Thou knowest my temptations and my inclinations. Thou knowest my peccadilloes and white lies. Thou knowest the words that leapt unbidden to my lips. Please apply but a drop of Thy grace to my insignificant oversights and save Thy bounteous oceans of mercy for them that truly have need. Ahmen."

"Dear Heavenly Father. Please just forgive all of my sin from last week. Even if I can’t remember it, you can. God, you just know everything. If I thought something wrong, forgive me. If I did something wrong, forgive me. If I spoke something wrong, ditto. I know that there’s gotta be some stuff there, so just forgive me. Thanks. Amen."

"Dear God. We both know that I have done many wrong things this past week. But we also know that I have done many good things. I know I’m not perfect, but You know that I have served You and others faithfully to the very best of my ability. I’ve been there for you. Now please be there for me. Forgive my sins, do not be unfair with me. As always, I will continue to help you do your work on earth. It’s great to be a team. Oh yes, and thanks for forgiving me. I knew you would. Amen."

"Dear Jesus. Thanks for your forgiveness. Where would I be without it? I think about your forgiveness all the time. Even as I was watching that Netflix movie last Friday night, I thought to myself ‘Hey man, this is wrong! But at least I can count on Jesus to forgive me.’ People at church told me that You forgave all my sins when I decided to ask You in to my heart. But sometimes I still feel guilty when I sin. Please help me not to feel guilty. Amen."

"Dear Precious Jesus. I need you to forgive me for the way that I spoke to my Father just before coming to the prayer meeting. It was very disrespectful, and I’m sorry. I would ask you to bear in mind though, what he said to me and how he said it. You know how that tone of voice sets me off. I guess that’s just the way I’m built. Gramma says that mom was just like that too. Anyways, please forgive me and help Dad not to use that tone of voice with me. Amen."

The pastor was motionless for a few moments. The unseen weight seemed to be pressing his upper body steadily towards the floor. He then mumbled a few instructions about asking God on behalf of others, and then directed them to pray together in pairs. Although the words were jumbled I managed to catch a few snippets of the petitions rising from the floor below. "...please help aunt Josephine’s cat to....", "....Rush Limbaugh to not get discouraged....", ".....the Democrats stop.....". And then it was over.

The pastor saw each one to the door. And then instead of locking up and following them out. He quietly shut the big front doors and walked laboriously back to the front of the sanctuary. He stood for a moment in the now empty ring of chairs and then swept the sanctuary with his gaze, silently taking in cross, pulpit, altar and empty pews. And then quite suddenly he dropped to his knees in front of his chair. (Did his knees buckle, or did he kneel?) He gripped the chair with both hands as if doing one, long, sustained push-up; the unseen weight pressing his face to within inches of the seat and squeezing tears from his eyes.

For a full hour he wept and cried out to his God. I sat unable to move, listening to his soft sobs and muted cries. What was he praying? And why the tears? At first his speech was indiscernible. But then he lifted his face heavenwards and began very clearly to confess his sins. He seemed to almost throw the words towards the ceiling. But something was not quite right. What was it?....We...Our...Us... That’s what it was! He wasn’t confessing his sins alone. He was confessing the sins of his entire congregation! We have sinned. Our pride, our arrogance, our insensitivity, our apathy. Forgive and cleanse us. Sin after filthy sin poured from his lips like raw sewage from a rusty pipe. And yet.... and yet the air was strangely unstained by the words. I know it sounds bizarre, but something seemed to be absorbing the words as each one came out of his mouth. The air was actually growing sweeter by the sentence. The pastor stopped for a moment to wipe his eyes and nose on the already tear stained sleeve of his white cotton shirt. And then bowing his head he prayed: "Oh God. I am overwhelmed tonight. I am crushed as I consider the exceeding sinfulness of our sin. Have mercy on us…..I know that in your holiness, you never excuse sin. You never say, ‘Its okay, I forgive you.’ I know that all of our sin will be judged; judged in our bodies, or judged in the body of Your dear Son. Tonight, I am begging you to have mercy upon me and upon my sheep. Please see that our sins are judged properly and completely in Jesus’ body. And do it not for our sakes, but for his. For it is in Jesus’ name that I pray. Amen." As he said "amen" his head dropped and he continued in silent prayer.

At that moment the sun dipped beneath the clouds on the distant horizon and beamed the last rays of the day through the side windows of the sanctuary. The front half of the room was immediately drenched in crimson light, and seemed almost to drip with it. A lightning bolt cracked, punctuating the moment. And suddenly it was finished. The daystar edged below the horizon. The red light dissolved to gray. And all was quiet.

The pastor stood up from his make-shift altar. His eyes were clear, his back now unbowed. He walked briskly up the aisle whistling a tune that beckoned me to remember the lyrics that accompanied it. Something clean heart... renew, renew me... Right before the door thumped shut behind him, I recalled the words and whispered them in unison with the fading melody. "Restore unto me the joy of Thy salvation." Yes Lord, please.

GH

No comments:

Post a Comment